Friday, September 11, 2009

WEEK SEVEN: Lecture Review

Free Culture, Free Society.

This lecture was really interesting in terms of identifying what is 'free' software and what is classified as proprietary software. I used to think a computer is just a computer and if it asks me to pay for an extra feature I do, as I didn't know any different. Adam helped me realise I do have a choice! And there are probably plenty of alternatives to expensive programs.

An example of one of these free programs is CC (creative commons) which I checked out (and loved) I actually ended up downloading a few tacks as well as using one of the tracks on my three min video. I also had no idea that there is an entire community on the web dedicated to finding and promoting free software. Of course copyright is a massive deal but I never thought individuals (such as Richard Stallman) would go out of their way to find a way around copyright and come out successful!

As for homework I didn't realise I had been using free software! We have firefox on our 'home'/ main computer! So I have been using free software without realising. I see no difference between firefox and other Internet systems so it just proves how successful free software is!

Its all about COMMUNITY, COLLABORATION and SOCIETY

No comments:

Post a Comment