Tuesday, September 1, 2009

WEEK FIVE: 3D worlds...

During the week five tute I experienced a 'third world' chat room for the first time. 
I must admit it was a little creepy. I've only ever used MSN and facebook chat, where I know who I am talking too, as they are MY friends and I have 'added' them or they have 'added' me and I have accepted. 

With the 3D world, you can be anyone you want. You can choose your character and name and become someone completely different. I can totally understand how some people become so involved with this world they forget who they are in reality, or become so obsessed with their character in '2nd life' that they hate who they are in real life! You always hear about those people who become so involved in their 2nd life they ask for divorces in their real life as their partners cheated on them in '2nd life!' it's ridiculous. 

But for the first time I could see how addictive 3D worlds can be, its so easy to use, and like I said, you are able to take on a whole new identity and chat with people around you. It's like 'The Sims' just with actually people controlling the characters. 

I much prefer the 'old school' way of chatting. (MSN or facebook chat) as I am able to know who I am talking to and I am not trying to pass myself off as someone else and neither is the person I am talking to. 

The 3D world seems like a lot of fun, but if not used appropriately, or in small doses it can be very addictive and even dangerous... 

No comments:

Post a Comment