Monday, August 24, 2009

WEEK FOUR: Scavenger Hunt Questions

Try to answer these questions without using Google or Wikipedia. There are no right answers. You gain marks for the most interesting ways of finding answers and your reflections on the mutability of facts. There are some notes in the Tutorial Folder at Course Content that may help. I have also put up lecture notes on the Language of the Screen - Josh Nicholas will be covering this material at the lecture on Wednesday while also reflecting on the shift of production focus from the big screen to the very small.

1.    What did Alan Turing wear while riding his bicycle around Bletchley Park?
A: A brown suit and gas mask

2.    On what date did two computers first communicate with each other? Where were they?
A: October 20th 1969 at UCLA

3.    What is Bill Gates’ birthday and what age was he when he sold his first software?
A: He was 17 years old when he sold his first piece of software for around $4000. He was born on the 28th of October 1955

4.    Where was the World Wide Web invented? 
A: The World Wide Web was invented at CERN

5.    How does the power of the computer you are working on now compare with the power of a personal computer from 30 years ago? 
A: A computer in 1979 had a 8088 8-bit processor, a computer in 2009 has a 2.60GHz 800FSB, 2MB processor I have no idea what that means but that's all I could find on it. 

6.    What is the weight of the largest parsnip ever grown
A: 2.3 Kilograms

7.    When did Queensland become a state and why is the Tweed River in New South Wales?
A: Queensland separated from New South Wales and thus became a state in 1859.

8.    What was the weather like in south-east Queensland on 17 November 1954?
A: There had been flooding in Southeast Queensland on the 17th of November 1954, it was raining. 
9.    Why is is Lord Byron still remembered in Venice?
A: He wrote some of his most famous work in Venice. Including: Don Juan

10.    What band did Sirhan Chapman play in and what is his real name?

A: Sirham Chapman played keyboard and did the lead vocals in The Black Assassins. He is none other than my lecturer for New Communication Technologies. I found this question very hard to answer so I did a little poking around in other students answers and I found this one! haha. 

CONCLUSION:
This was SUCH a hard task as I were not allowed to use google. I admite I still used a number of search engines including: ask.com, yahoo.com, altavista.com and answers.com These engines offered me answers but I still think they are nothing compared to google! It was so hard not to use google but I think overall I have answered the questions to the best of my ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment