Saturday, August 29, 2009

Extra Questions

  • How do search engines rank the stuff they find on the internet?

    I researched this question via none other than google and I came along some interesting sites that explain the ranking system a lot better than I could. This is what www.boutell.com had to say:

    Google ranks by how frequently other sites link to you, not by what you do or don't say on your site, although they do of course use what is on your site to determine whether your page is of relevance. When Google arrived, there was a "honeymoon period" of several years during which searches were extremely effective, because the Google rank of a site was essentially based on its true popularity, as measured by the number of sites that thought it worthwhile to link to it. At the time, no one had figured out a way to trick Google into artificially raising their rank.

  • who, or what, makes one page (that you might get in your search results) more useful than another one, so that it is put at the top of your search results?

    I'm not sure about this question so I am just going to answer it off common knowledge. I assume that the more information I put into the search then more refined and detailed the results will be. I'm not sure if that answered the question!

  • what are some of your favourite search engines? why do you like one more than others?

    I only use google. It is always the first thing to pop into my head when I need to find something out. The term: 'google it' is used well in my house! I like it because it is quick, easy and has tones of information and choice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment